|Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles by Underthemountain|
I am totally a child of the '80s, which has made me obsessed with all things related to the '80s! I'm always on the lookout for '80s crafts or craft tutorials, but I haven't had much luck. So, I decided to start crafting my own items. I especially love reproducing items that I've seen in the past or something that I had as a child, but really any '80s craft is fun for me.
Did you get a lot of response from readers?
I hosted the craft-a-long pretty soon after I had started my blog, so I didn't have too many readers then, but I did get several of my regular readers to participate every week. One in particular, The Spotted Sparrow, started a new series for her Etsy shop because of the '80s craft-a-long.
I remember that making pot holders was a very popular craft in the '80s. I made quite a few of those. Do you remember any particular crafts you did back then that were particular to the era?
My grandmother was very crafty. She always gave me crafty presents like cross-stitch and embroidery kits. But, the first craft I remember learning was Spirograph. I really didn't start making crafts until I was older, but I always loved to play with creative toys like Lite-Bright, Shrinky Dinks, Colorforms, and Fashion Plates.
I see you have an Etsy shop. Do some of your '80s crafts spill over into your shop?
I am actually opening up an online shop this spring, www.hooksandwhiskers.com, and it will include some '80s items. I have so many ideas floating around in my head, so I'm really excited about my '80s items in particular. It should be a lot of fun!
Do you have plans to do more '80s-inspired craft series?
Yes, I am throwing an '80s birthday party this summer. I'll be crafting 90% of the party including the invitations, food, party favors, and my costume, so because of all of the '80s crafts I'll be making in the next few months, I think it will be fun to host another '80s craft-a-long. It will probably be on my blog sometime this spring.
Thank you so much for talking with us! Here is Missie's...
Crafting Through the '80s Timeline, Ideas, and Links
- The Empire Strikes Back: R2D2 host sauce cover
- The Rose/Bette Midler: paper rose
- The Love Boat: knitted boat toy
- Misc.: Rubik's Cube pincushion
- Raider's of the Lost Ark: duct tape bullwhip
- Porky's: felt pig toy
- Betty Davis Eyes/Kim Carnes: kitty eyeball toy
- Misc.: 80s record album scrapbook
- Tootsie: tootsie roll flowers
- E.T.: bike frame lunch bag
- 60 Minutes: clock pillow & rug
- Freeze Frame/J Geils Band: mosaic picture frame
- Misc.: '80s t-shirt drawstring bag
- Return of the Jedi: lightsaber
- A Christmas Story: leg lamp
- Stray Cat Strut/Stray Cats: terry cat
- Cagney & Lacey: barbie police uniform
- Karma Chameleon/Culture Club: okra lizard
- Crazy Like a Fox: fox finger puppet
- Misc.: braided barrette
- Back to the Future: captain capacitor
- Weird Science: lab coat pattern
- The Boys of Summer/Don Henley: baseball safety pin
- Who's the Boss: apron pattern
- Misc.:fingerless gloves
- Aliens: ufo amigurumi
- Stand by Me: pie slice
- Addicted to Love/Robert Palmer: heart stitched card
- Cheers: beer cozy
- Moonstruck: moon and stars wall hanging
- The Lost Boys: clothespin vampire bats
- The Lady in Red/Chris De Burgh: cerise rose shawl
- Amen: bible verse cross stitch
- Misc.: space invader
- Crocodile Dundee: crocodile bookmark
- The Great Outdoors: hot dog
- The Flame/Cheap Trick: hot rod socks
- Empty Nest: bird nest pillow
- Misc.: pop tab bracelet