The biggest Scottish Cup Final shocks

The 2020 Scottish Cup Final is set to take place on December 20th, and there's no shocks when it comes to Celtic's involvement. The Bhoys have been finalists and winners over the last three years, and the latest Scottish FA Cup odds are firmly in their favour, as they take on Hearts at Hampden Park. You can usually guarantee that either Celtic or Rangers, or both Glaswegian clubs will contest the final – so we've trawled through the archives to the times that neither side made it all the way, ultimately providing a huge shock.

2014-15: Falkirk 1-2 Inverness CT
Inverness sprung a massive surprise in the semi-finals, beating Celtic after extra time to secure their place in the Scottish Cup final, for the first time in their history. By beating Falkirk within 90 minutes, they also won their first ever title, and thanks to their league position, were already rewarded with a place in the Europa League second qualifying round, prior to their cup success.

Inverness had taken the lead in the 38th minute through Marley Williams, and after Carl Tremarco was dismissed with 15 minutes remaining and Peter Grant equalised for Falkirk, it looked as though it wouldn't be their day. But when James Vincent pounced on a loose ball from six yards out, Inverness stole a later winner and celebrated their first major trophy.

2013-14: St Johnstone 2-0 Dundee United
The season before, a new name was engraved on the trophy, with St Johnstone reaching the final for the first time in their 130-year history, and winning the Scottish Cup. Their opponents Dundee were playing in their tenth final, but defeat culminated in an eighth loss for them. Both sides entered at the fourth-round stage, and Dundee had beaten Rangers in the semi-final 3-1, to secure their place. Celtic had taken an early exit in the fifth round.

A goal late on in each half secured the win for The Saints. A whipped corner from David Wotherspoon saw centre-back Steven Anderson jump highest and head the ball into the back of an empty net to open the scoring. There was just enough time to restart play before the referee blew up for half time. A one-goal lead is always a narrow one and tensions increased throughout the second half. The result was sealed five minutes from time, when Steven MacLean slid in to challenge keeper Radosław Cierzniak, before punting the ball over the line.

2011-12: Hibernian 1-5 Heart of Midlothian
Two Edinburgh rivals met in the 2012 Scottish Cup final, and it was the first time that Hibs and Hearts had faced each other in the tournament final since 1896. The match took place at Hampden Park, rather than Murrayfield, which is where their previous final was contested. Hibs had sailed through the rounds en route to the final, while Hearts needed replays in both the fifth round and quarter-final, before beating Celtic in the semis.

Hearts put in a dominant display to annihilate their city rivals, although things could have been different, but for injury to Hibs' first-choice goalkeeper Graham Stack, who also missed the semi-final win. It proved to be a frantic first half, and within 50 minutes, five goals were scored.

First, Darren Barr opened the scoring for Hearts, before Rudi Skacel's deflected shot made it 2-0. Hibs pulled one back before halftime, but Hearts regained their two-goal advantage. A second bookable offence for Hibs' defender Pa Kajubi saw a penalty awarded and Danny Grainger duly put it away. Ryan McGowan added a fourth on 50 minutes, and Skacel got his brace with 15 minutes of the match remaining, to complete the rout – and deliver the biggest winning margin since 1999-2000.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...